- Departure from Norfolk
- Arrival in Rota
- First FDNF-E Patrol
- Return to home port
Departure from Norfolk
In March, Arleigh Burke departed Norfolk on March 26th enroute the new homeport of Rota.
- USS Arleigh Burke Prepares for Home Port Shift to Rota – U. S. Navy Press Release – March 27, 2021
- Destroyerman – June 2021 – page 10
In early April, Arleigh Burke operated with USS Roosevelt (DDG 80), Virginia-class attack submarine USS Vermont (SSN 792), and P-8A maritime patrol and reconnaissance aircraft to conduct multi-domain anti-submarine warfare operations in the Atlantic. C6F Press Release – April 9, 2021
Arrival in Rota
- USS ARLEIGH BURKE, Newest FDNF Ship, Arrives in Homeport Rota, Spain – Coastline – April 22, 202
- Destroyerman – June 2021 – page 12
Raising the Spanish flag after arriving in Rota:
In May, the ship participated in NATO Exercise Ragnar Viking and met up with the ships participating in the Royal Navy’s Strike Warrior Exercise in the North Atlantic Ocean. Two Major North Sea Maritime Exercises Converge – U.S. Navy Press Release – May 17, 2021
First FDNF-E Patrol
The ship began its first Forward Deployed Naval Forces-Europe (FDNF-E) patrol in the U.S. Sixth Fleet area of responsibility in August.
Arleigh Burke Begins First FDNF-E Patrol – Coastline – August 12, 2021
In September, the ship conducted a port visit to Tallinn, Estonia. Arleigh Burke is the first ship to pull into Tallinn in more than two years. During the visit, the ship hosted Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid and other distinguished visitors for tours of the ship and hosted a media availability with members of Estonian press. Sailors also had a chance to participate in a community relations event at the National Library of Estonia.
- USS Arleigh Burke Arrives In Tallinin – Coastline – Sep 23, 2021
- USS Arleigh Burke Departs Tallinin – Coastline – Sep 23, 2021
Later in September, the ship visited Gdynia, Poland.
SWO pinning in September:
Ship celebrates 30 years of commissioned service:
- Fast and Feared for 30 Years – USS Arleigh Burke Celebrates Historic Milestone – Coastline – September 23, 2021
- Destroyerman – October 2021 – page 10
The ship conducted an engine change out in October
- All Engines Ahead Flank: USS Arleigh Burke Honors Plankowner – Coastline – October 27, 2021
- Forward Deployed Regional Maintenance Center (FDRMC) Detachment Rota – Coastline – Dec 16, 2021
In October Arleigh Burke joined SNMG 1 to conduct presence operations and demonstrate NATO interoperability in the Baltic region.
- Press Release from C6F
- Coastline – November 18, 2021
Port visit to Finland
After the SNMG 1 operations, Arleigh Burke conducted a port visit in Finland.
Chief Petty Officer pinning ceremony in November:
Cooks in the news:
Security force training:
Black Sea Ops – Nov-Dec
- USS Arleigh Burke Enters the Black Sea in Support of NATO Allies and Partners – US Navy Press Release
- USS Arleigh Burke Enters Black Sea in Support of NATO Allies and Partners – Coastline – Dec 2, 2021
- Destroyer USS Arleigh Burke Operating in Black Sea After Bulgaria Port Visit – USNI News – Nov 29, 2021
Port visit to Varna, Bulgaria
USS Arleigh Burke Departs Varna, Bulgaria – Press Release from U.S. Naval Forces Europe and Africa / U.S. Sixth Fleet – Nov 30, 2021
USS Arleigh Burke Departs Varna, Bulgaria – Coastline – Dec 2, 2021
Port visit to Constanta Romania
USS Arleigh Burke Arrives in Constanta, Romania – Press Release from U.S. Naval Forces Europe and Africa / U.S. Sixth Fleet – Dec 5, 2021
USS Arleigh Burke Departs Black Sea, Arrives in Golcuk, Turkey – C6F Press Release
Return to home port
USS Arleigh Burke Completes Inaugural Forward Deployed Patrol – U.S. Navy Press Release – Dec 23, 2021
USS Arleigh Burke Complete Inaugural Forward Deployed Patrol – Coastline – January 13, 2022
DC2 Robbins – USS Arleigh Burke (DDG 51) – Coastline – Dec 16, 2021
Inport Rota at the end of a busy and successful year.